Governor's Awards for Excellence
The Governor's Awards for Excellence is the highest honor a State employee may receive. Recipients are honored annually.
The Governor's Awards for Excellence Program is designed to acknowledge and express appreciation for outstanding accomplishments that do not fall entirely within the scope of normal duties, but are in the nature of a major contribution reflecting credit on the person and State service. The meritorious service or accomplishment is so singularly outstanding that special recognition is justified.
Employees are nominated for the award by other state employees including their supervisors, co-workers, and subordinates. Read the State Employee Awards for Excellence Policy for more information.
Interested in nominating someone for a Governor’s Award for Excellence? Visit the Governor's Awards for Excellence website or see your agency’s Human Resources coordinator for more information.
Awards are presented in seven categories:
- Customer Service – Provided exceptional service that left the customer fully satisfied with their experience. Exceeded expectations to meet the needs of the customer. Added value to the customer experience.
- Efficiency & Innovation – Improved the efficiency of state government services. Established new and/or improved methods, practices, plans or designs resulting in innovation, savings and/or efficiencies.
- Human Relations – Made outstanding contributions toward enhancing the quality and morale of the workplace or creating a better public image of state government (such as positive personal interaction with other employees; public awareness; working on relations internally within an agency; or collaboration between different agencies).
- Outstanding State Government Service – Exhibited unselfish devotion to duty far and above the normal requirements and contributed significantly to the advancement of state service to the citizens of North Carolina.
- Public Service – Made outstanding contributions by participating in or implementing community and public service projects (such as volunteering with various non-profit organizations).
- Safety and Heroism – Demonstrated outstanding judgment or courage in an emergency, voluntarily risking his/her life or exhibited meritorious action to prevent injury, loss of life or prevented damage to or loss of property.
- Spirit of North Carolina – Exemplified the state motto “To be, rather than to seem.” Mentored others in the pursuit of excellence. Served as an ambassador for the State of North Carolina. This special award is reserved for exceptional circumstances and for accomplishments and achievements of the highest caliber.
Nominees must be permanent state employees and include:
- Employees who have a permanent appointment, including the managerial and administrative levels such as:
- Deputy and Assistant Department Heads
- Division Directors
- Deputy and Assistant Directors of major divisions in the larger departments
- Key assistants to the Department Head or University Chancellor who exert major policy influence.
Employees not eligible:
- Elected officials, department heads and university chancellors
- Employees of the public school system or community colleges
- Employees of the judicial branch and
- Employees of the General Assembly.
Do you know someone that you'd like to nominate?
Follow these steps to have your colleague considered for one of the categories of the 2016 Governor's Awards for Excellence.
- Read the 2016 Nomination Rules.
- Download this checklist of things you'll need to complete the nomination form.
- Find your agency's coordinator.
- Nominate your colleague as soon as the nomination window is open!