Sometimes accidents happen at work. Of course, the State of North Carolina wants to prevent them, but we need your help to keep you and your coworkers safe on the job. If you see a hazard or unsafe working condition, please try to fix it if you can. If you can't immediately fix it, put a cone or sign near the hazard and report it at hazards.nc.gov.

What Happens if I’m Injured at Work?

  1. If you are injured, you must tell your supervisor immediately, and no later than 30 days after the injury. If you need medical treatment other than first aid, your supervisor will direct you to an appropriate medical provider.
  2. You must complete a written statement, North Carolina Employee Incident Report, detailing your injury that is included as part of your supervisor’s Incident Investigation Report.
  3. On the day of your injury, you will not be charged leave for the time lost from work due to your injury. However, you are expected to return to work on the day of the injury unless the initial medical provider (authorized treating physician) where you are referred for treatment says you must go home for the day.
  4. Your authorized treating physician will provide you with a written note for any time out of work or assigned work restrictions related to your work-related injury or illness. You must give all work notes to your supervisor or workers’ compensation administrator as soon as possible upon receipt.
  5. Your ongoing medical treatment is will be directed by the Third Party Administrator’s assigned adjuster that is handling claims on behalf of your agency/university.
  6. There is a seven-day waiting period where no compensation for time lost from work will be provided unless the injury results in disability for more than 21 days, then compensation will be allowed from the date of disability. You may use vacation or sick leave in lieu of taking workers’ compensation leave during this seven-day waiting period. Leave options covering the waiting period for certain law enforcement officers and public school employees injured in an episode of violence is covered by different policies. Consult with your human resources staff for more information about these policies.
  7. The NC Workers’ Compensation Act provides medical benefits and compensation for your time lost from work and any permanent disability that results from your injury. Your weekly benefit is 66 2/3% of your average weekly wages up to a statutorily calculated annual maximum amount. You may also use Supplemental Leave while you are completely out of work due to your injury.
  8. Return To Work: Your agency/university should have a structured Return To Work program. Your agency/university will use this program to provide you with modified/transitional duty employment that complies with the work restrictions indicated by your doctor during the healing period for your injury. After reaching maximum medical improvement, your agency/university will work with you to accommodate any permanent work restrictions and facilitate your return to permanent suitable employment.
  9. After reaching maximum medical improvement, you may be entitled to compensation for a permanent partial disability that is a result of your work-related injury.
  10. Agencies are responsible for payment of authorized medical treatment and wage loss due to injury as certified by an authorized treating physician. 

Still need more information? Email workerscomp@nc.gov with your questions or to find the worker's compensation administrator for your agency and facility.

Workers' Compensation Homepage