Registration for Challenge 28 is open now!
Miles for Wellness Challenge 28 will run from Monday, September 25 through Sunday, November 19, 2023. Registration for Challenge 28 opens Monday, August 28 and closes Friday, September 22. Learn more through the link below.
Miles for Wellness is a virtual, team-based walking initiative by and for the state employees of North Carolina. The purpose of Miles for Wellness is to encourage and support employees to increase their level of physical activity, with the goal of 10,000 steps, or the equivalent of 5 miles, achieved most days of the week. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, regular physical activity is one of the most important things you can do for your health. It can help:
- Control your weight
- Reduce your risk of cardiovascular disease
- Reduce your risk for type 2 diabetes and metabolic syndrome
- Reduce your risk of some cancers
- Strengthen your bones and muscles
- Improve your mental health and mood
- Improve your ability to do daily activities and prevent falls, if you're an older adult
- Increase your chances of living longer
- If you're not sure about becoming active or boosting your level of physical activity because you're afraid of getting hurt, the good news is that moderate-intensity aerobic activity, like brisk walking, is generally safe for most people.
Miles for Wellness is sponsored by the Operational Division of the Office of State Human Resources, with challenges taking place twice a year. Teams are comprised of up to ten people in four categories: tortoise, hare, super hare, and bionic hare.
Each challenge has a different theme with weekly step count totals that are added up and plotted on a virtual map. Get in your steps, get active and connect with coworkers!